What Goes in a Samaritan Bag?
- Bottled Water
- Non-Perishable Food Items (must be heat tolerant)
- Information on local health and housing resources and transportation services
- Socks or gloves
- Personal Care items
- Basic first aid kit
- Hand sanitizing wipes
- Travel-size soap
- Full-size outreach Bible
- Cards with encouraging messages, prayers, or scripture
- Directions to local churches with homeless ministries, as well as who to contact for travel arrangements
Essentials and extras
- Bags to hold everything
- Masks for packers and for the bags
- Labels for the bags
How to Host A Packing Event
- Get the word out about your event. Packing events can be as small as family-sized to multi-church events. Figure out what is going to work for you and let people know.
- In the weeks leading up to your packing event, gather items to be donated. A great way of doing this is by getting your church or workplace involved. Provide a list of items that go into Samaritan Bags (toiletries, socks, small bibles, etc). If you have a few gaps in your donations, check out our shop page for our recommendations for products we like to include in Samaritan Bags.
- Establish an assembly line – it’s a good idea to make sure the items you’ve gathered fit into the bags beforehand so there’s no awkward scramble the day of.
- Get packing! Crank some music and make things fun. Designate someone to take photos that could go up on your group’s Facebook page later.